This is not directly science related but as we enter a STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) focused world I think it is important for K-12 teachers of science to be up to date in educational technology standards.
The report- Transforming American Education: Learning Powered by Technology was just released. You will find an executive summary and the full report as pdfs.
The report details 5 goals for educational technology:
- Learning: Engage and Empower All learners will have engaging and empowering learning experiences both in and out of school that prepare them to be active, creative, knowledgeable, and ethical participants in our globally networked society.
- Assessment: Measure What Matters Our education system at all levels will leverage the power of technology to measure what matters and use assessment data for continuous improvement.
- Teaching: Prepare and Connect Professional educators will be supported individually and in teams by technology that connects them to data, content, resources, expertise, and learning experiences that enable and inspire more effective teaching for all learners.
- Infrastructure: Access and Enable All students and educators will have access to a comprehensive infrastructure for learning when and where they need it.
- Productivity: Redesign and Transform Our education system at all levels will redesign processes and structures to take advantage of the power of technology to improve learning outcomes while making more efficient use of
time, money, and staff.