The K-5 Systems Handbook ver 1.1 is my attempt to create one document to raise awareness of systems standards and to support better understanding and teaching of systems ideas.
The K-5 Systems Handbook ver 1.1 contains:
- a preface describing the importance of systems thinking and the rationale for the handbook
- an overview of systems standards in national science standard documents, in Washington state science standards, and Washington state Test & Item specs
- a small set of tools for teaching systems: frameworks, systems questions, 3 sample lessons (including a literacy lesson)
- an emerging table of opportunities to teach systems within FOSS science kits- (would love to make this more explicit and robust)
- links to more systems resources online
I’m hoping this will be a helpful starting place for other districts, buildings, and teachers in creating your own Systems Handbook ver 1.1 that meets the needs of your context. And as always, I would love to hear how you use such a tool and how you have modified it for success.
Also- if you are using this handbook in a professional development setting you may be interested in the Systems Handbook facilitation guide– it’s drafty but at least it’s a starting place.