I cannot say enough positive things about Tools for Ambitious Science Teaching. I have site envy right now. Tools for Ambitious Science Teaching showcases the work of a team of Educational Researchers at the University of Washington.
The tools on the site are designed to provide a system of support for early career and preservice secondary science teachers. The resources include:
– A wonderful set of video clips (life science & physical science) that demonstrate a clear learning progression over the course of several days. Real teachers working with real kids- and it’s all free to watch online. (See the embedded clip below of a classroom in the second day of a learning progression.)
– Guides to support effective classroom discourse.
– A tool to check for understanding: Rapid Survey of Student Thinking
– Rubrics for evaluating student thinking
– PowerPoints, Papers, and Publications
Applications for Science Teachers: This site would be very useful for a collaborative group (PLC) of secondary science teachers who are looking to improve their practice. These tools would be perfect for PD providers, consultants, curriculum directors, instructional coaches, TOSAs, teachers of teachers of science, and teacher leaders.
Vodpod videos no longer available.